Skip to main content

Diversity is destiny

Competition between pair Basuki Tjahaja Purnama (known as Ahok) - Djarot Saiful Hidayat and Anis Baswedan - Sandiaga Uno in the Jakarta gubernatorial election has ended. Although the scale of this election is only for Jakarta, this political contestation has a wide influence in Indonesia and gained international attention. Because for the first time a candidate, namely Basuki Tjahaja Purnama is from "double minority" background that is ethnic Chinese and Christian

I do not want to talk at length about the first paragraph in this post because I'm sure everyone in Indonesia already knows about the political tension behind it and how its influence to the national unity. I am only interested in conveying the philosophical message to you all in relation to that matter.

Diversity is destiny. So that is destiny if Indonesia consist of multi ethnics: Chinese, Balinese, Javanese, Sundanese, Acehnese, Irian, etc. More globally there are white, yellow, black. We can not choose to be born as what tribe or nation as we want. We can not choose to be born into Muslim, Christian, or Buddhist family. We can not choose to be born into rich family. That is God's choice !!! So diversity is the grace from God. The biggest problem is not everyone realizes that it is God's choice.

Fortunately Indonesia has national four pillars to unite thousands of islands, tribes, cultures, customs, and languages in it, namely:

  1. Pancasila as the foundation of the country.
  2. Undang-Undang Dasar 1945 (in English : 1945 Constitution) as the state constitution.
  3. Negara Kesatuan Republik Indonesia (in English: The Unitary State of the Republic of Indonesia) as the form of the country.
  4. Bhinneka Tunggal Ika (in English : Unity In Diversity) as the motto of the country.

I hope the fourth pillar, Unity In Diversity, can be adopted by the United Nations as a universal value for this world. Do you agree?

Comments

  1. The problem is that many Indonesians have forgotten about the fourth pillar. They think diversity is a problem and must be eliminated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, just one word: "ego".
      Correct?

      Delete
    2. Many? Agree but not majority.

      Delete

Post a Comment

NOTE: Comments are moderated to block spam. Genuine comments will be published even if you are critical or disagree with me. Hate speech, personal attacks, ads, or spam will be removed.

POPULAR POSTS LAST 7 DAYS:

Christmas Contemplation When The Bell Ringing

A few days ago, I visited a mall to buy something. The atmosphere was very rousing with Christmas decorations and I believe also occurs around the world. Producers take advantage of Christmas moment to compete and increase sales with tempting offers, such as: discount 20%, 30%, 40%, buy one get one, etc. Parents are busy thinking of what gifts should be purchased, and children imagining of what the gift they will get. Many people calculate their money for the best holiday package. That's NOT wrong! But... when the bell is ringing.... Before: Christmas is the birth of Savior! Now: Santa, where is my gift? Before: That is the beginning of the redemption of our sin. Now: Let's be happy for welcoming Christmas and new year. Before: Jesus has come in simplicity. Now: Let's go holiday ! I'm just imagining the genuine spirit of why we celebrate Christmas has gone. And... in this opportunity, I want to tell you that the Christmas bell resounding the call to the soul to follow t...

In Memory, my beloved brother

Actually, I do not think to make this post. But at one night, suddenly I look at his photo and remembered all his kindness and beautiful memories when he was still with us. Since December 23th, 2007, my beloved brother Rudiansyah Guyana has left us forever. He was a kind-hearted man, helpful to others, a man who love his family, an independent person, hard worker, and always want to go forward to reach for his dreams in order to be success in life and marry using his own money. I still remember when I was in hard conditions, he always gave genuine support. I never forget when I get married... he by sincerely gave some money to me by saying "For anything". Although a very little amount, but in sincerity I felt touched, moreover I knew he got it with very hard. And now... despite I'm a manager who have sizable income, I have no way to reply his kindness because he already went to the other world, forever. Feels like facing the door that was closed for me. For my lifetime I...

Five things I am proud of

I am typing this post while accompanying my baby sleeping at night. Jim Belshaw from Personal Reflections site, as I read on his short profile is a manager, strategic consultant, freelance researcher and social commentator, has asked me to write about 5 things I am proud of. And below is my duty for Jim. Become a father . I do not have a child during the first three-year marriage. Problem? maybe not in western but few bother here. In a relax chat people often ask : "How many children do you have?". While joking, my best friend ever said: "You're not yet being a real father until you have a child". Hmm... an uncomfortable question. But now I have Ely and Alex. Maybe Jim or readers will be laughing at me for this one, ha... ha... Not an unemployment . Really I will feel low-self if it happened. Harmonious with my siblings . Care each other when in trouble. Of course I need harmony with other people but with own siblings is the fundamental thing. My parents live w...