Skip to main content

Ulil Abshar Abdalla, a piece of important story on him

Within this post, I just picked up the scattered stories from the media in Indonesia related to the three book-bomb attact on 15 March 2011. The first news that has attracted me to publish this post was Jakarta Globe titled "Democracy in Indonesia in 'Danger': Journalists Alliance":

Judging from the package sent, the perpetrator was clearly trying to silence Ulil by killing him", said Nezar Patria, chairman of AJI (Aliansi Jurnalis Independen / The Alliance of Independent Journalists). The case has to be solved. An attack against an advocate of pluralism is a hard blow to our national ideals. Democracy in Indonesia is now in danger.

Tempo Interaktif also published the letter (written in Indonesian) that found within the book-bomb packet addressed to Ulil.

According to Jakarta Globe, there were three book-bombs. The first one addressed to Ulil Abshar Abdalla, co-founder of Jaringan Islam Liberal (English: Liberal Islam Network). The second package was addressed to Comr. Gen. Gories Mere, a former key officer of the National Police’s counter terrorist elite unit, Densus 88 (Special Detachment 88). The books sent to Ulil and Gories were titled "They Deserved to Be Killed: Because of Their Sins to Islam and Muslims". The third book-bomb was addressed to Yapto with the titled "Masih Adakah Pancasila?" (English: "Does Pancasila Still Exist?").

Why Ulil Abshar Abdalla?
Because in 2002 he wrote an article titled "Menyegarkan Kembali Pemahaman Islam" (English : "Rejuvenating the Islamic Understanding") in Kompas, a popular newspaper in Indonesia. By browsing I also found another piece of story about Ulil published in 2003, just to answer the question of why?

Who is Ulil? Please read on Wikipedia. Now what? Again, a test toward the state constitution, Indonesia.

Comments

  1. Anonymous17/3/11

    Good blog my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The assassination attempt may be an incident - though it is more likely it shows that thinking independently, that is being a heretic to the the twisted minds of the zealous, may be a lethal disease nowadays in Indonesia :(.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Steve Ballmer,
    Thank you. Apparently you're a CEO at Microsoft company, as I see it in your blog's profile by clicking on your web page's link in contact. Is that really you? Your face in blogger's profile looks fatter than in Microsoft website. :)

    Btw, Microsoft operating system was rampant in Indonesia.

    @ Colson,
    Deliberate incident, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. moga ga ada teror bom lagi di Indonesia

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Attayaya,
    Ternyata ada lagi yaitu buat Ahmad Dhani ;)

    http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/home/fourth-book-bomb-sent-to-ahmad-dhani/429717

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rummuser21/3/11

    Tikno, you know my views on extremists of all kinds. All sane public faces who try to bring about some sanity in religion face such attacks from their own so called coreligionists. It is sad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Rummuser,
    Yes, I read your posts about terrorism in India and Pakistan. Fortunately you do not write your views bluntly here, because this comment-box will become overheat ;)
    Wait... experts still diagnose these new symptoms.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hey mate thanks for visiting and your kind words. loved the way you have named your blog. 'Ely' must be a happy girl.

    best wishes

    Abhinandan

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

NOTE: Comments are moderated to block spam. Genuine comments will be published even if you are critical or disagree with me. Hate speech, personal attacks, ads, or spam will be removed.

POPULAR POSTS LAST 7 DAYS:

The Essence Of Blogging

Previously... when I am browsing on the internet, I often faced with the passive site, which it only gave one-way communication. Read and finish, afterwards gone to other site (also read and finish). The only things that could be done was, click "Contact Us" and sent a message to the author. Then... emerge the messenger's technology, like mIRC, Yahoo Messenger, Windows Messenger, etc. (referred to "chatting"). Indeed this was the two-way communication, but still not enough to keep tons of our thought and idea permanently. Now... by using the service from Blogspot, Wordpress, TypePad, LiveJournal, Facebook, Twitter, etc. it create a cyberspace with more live and enjoy. Anyone could share their thoughts, idea, story, and interact with each other in manner of two-ways. Moreover there are those who wrote "Welcome to my home" in a blog. I feel like visiting my neighbor although they were very far from me. I thought cyberspace has been get up from the the si...

Cause and effect - an musing

Why I write this post?? Because I see a lot of enmity actions, ugly debate, until the human tragedy that is the attack on the twin tower of World Trade Center (often referred to as WTC 9/11). Also flood disaster in China, India, United States, Indonesia and other countries. There were many horrifying incidents throughout the history of human life until today. What the wrong? Okay... okaaay, you can says that is the foolish question. Here, I write several happening which I worry about. According to you whether it is true of the cause and effect below: CAUSE -- EFFECT -- CAUSE Global warming. Cause: gas emissions of Carbon Dioxide (CO2) and Chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs). I ever heard a joke: Too many human cause human body also produces warm. Just feel in a room (3x4 M) with 1 person and with 20 person. Flood and landslide. Cause: cutting down the forest carelessly. Conflict, war, terrorism. Cause: egoism, claim on the truth. Pssst... I rarely heard the claim on the mistake (ha..ha..)....

President Barack Obama - a musing from USA

While on other still hear about : 1) Majority VS minority. 2) Yellow, brown, black OR white. 3) How the REAL democracy. 4) How to ACCEPT defeats. 5) How the NATION above of personal. 6) How ABILITY above of appearance. 7) How the election ending ELEGANTLY. With Barack Obama being the President of The United States, they have been prove it to the world. No talk but action.