Skip to main content

Fair by Logic or Feeling: A Test of Wisdom

The definition of "fair" according to the Cambridge Dictionary: treating someone in a way that is right or reasonable, or treating a group of people equally and not allowing personal opinions to influence your judgment. Well, that's the ideal. But can idealism always be implemented into practice effectively? The answer is not necessarily yes.

A few days ago, I was chatting casually at a coffee shop with friends. One of my friends told a story about parents who divided their wealth between their two sons. Both sons had their own families, but their financial conditions were very different. The first son was quite wealthy, while the second son was relatively poor. Their parents gave the larger share to the second son. This made the first son feel he was being treated unfairly. He felt his parents favored his younger brother.

This story steered our casual conversation toward the topic of fairness. There were two opinions. First, their parents should divide it equally to be fair. Second, their parents have a sense of fairness based on empathy. This second opinion was caught my attention to write this post because it is in the gray zone between black and white. I think the first opinion could be called "fair by logic" and the second opinion "fair by feeling" (but I prefer to call it "fair by wisdom"). So, what do you think about this matter? Is it fair for the poorer child to receive a larger share of the inheritance?

Justice

Of the two opinions above, I think the legal field faces the most challenging challenge. Judges must be adept at balancing legal provisions with society's sense of justice. For example: the law states that stealing someone else's property is punishable by five years in prison. Should a thief who steals a loaf of bread receive the same sentence as a car thief? Do you often hear that access to justice is often more difficult for the poor than for the wealthy who can afford expensive lawyers?

Being fair does not always mean giving the exact same thing to everyone (logical fairness), but rather ensuring that everyone gets what they need to succeed (empathetic fairness). Our greatest challenge is knowing when to stand firm on rigid rules, and when to act with empathy to embrace the diversity of human condition. In short: being human, not robot.

In closing, I have a most intriguing question: Does the veto power at the UN hurt the sense of justice for the majority of countries in the world?

Photo by dp singh Bhullar from Pexels with free use license.

Comments

  1. My own family's financial way above our living expense. So I don't mind my parents giving more of their inheritance to my sister because her life was hard and I love her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. May I call it wisdom by love? Your sister is lucky to have you. I wish I were your brother too LOL

      Delete
  2. Adil, memang punya dua makna ya. Tergantung dari sudut mana memandangnya. Tapi Adil bijaksana, itu lebih penting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apakah adil bijaksana jika anak yang lebih miskin menerima warisan yang lebih besar.

      Delete
    2. what language is this, it reads so much like konkani.

      Delete
    3. Hi Parwatisingari, this is Indonesian language.

      Delete
  3. Fair may not seem fair to everyone unless you have some common sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fair by common sense? I'm still imagining it.

      Delete
  4. bagi je harta tu dgn adil 50-50 kpd kedua2nya mengikut faraid. Itu yg sepatutnya. X kisah la anak tu kaya atau miskin..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Salam Abam Kie, anda merujuk kepada hukum Islam "faraid". Setahu saya, hukum ini hanya digunakan selepas pemilik harta meninggal dunia.
      Nah... dalam kes ini, ibu-bapa mereka masih hidup. Bolehkah ibu-bapa memutuskan sendiri apa yang mereka rasa terbaik?

      Delete
    2. bisa diatur pak...

      Delete

Post a Comment

NOTE: Comments are moderated to block spam. Genuine comments will be published even if you are critical or disagree with me. Hate speech, personal attacks, ads, or spam will be removed.

POPULAR POSTS LAST 7 DAYS:

Condemns the Koran burning plan

Terry Jones, a pastor who leads a tiny church called "The Dove World Outreach Center" in Gainesville, Florida, U.S. plans to burn copies of Koran on September 11, 2010, as reported on New York Times with the title: A Bonfire in Danger of Spreading . The reason of this action is to commemorate the event of terrorist attacks on 9/11. Gosh, for me it's really a crazy plan. I warn you that your plan, if it really happened, will spreading the new tensions around the world and very possibly this event (burns the Quran) could be used by extremists as a justification to act further. I also condemn the creator of a Facebook page titled " International Burn A Koran Day " and urge the owner of Facebook to aware and immediately remove such page because the contents of this page just showing emotional debate, hatred and also stupid. Any negative actions will produce another negative reactions as opposed to you . If we really want to give a small contribution for peace and ha...

The Inner Voices When I Get Old

One day in January 2010, I visited my grandfather (father of my mother) and my grandmother (grandmother of my wife). I can feel how happy they are with my presence, as well as myself. I can see despite their spirit remain alive, but I can not deny that their physical ability has decreased naturally. So, I start to think how if I'm getting old like them. While thinking of it, suddenly my mind remembered a touching story that was discovered by my family. Whatever I have feel and imagine, I pour it into this poetry. Hopefully your love to the elderly and your parents will be more. When I Get Old. When I spill vegetable broth on my clothes, when I no longer remember how to tie a tie, when I no longer remember how to tie shoelaces, remember the times how I taught and guided you to do that. When I am senile and constantly repeat words that bore you, please be patient to listen to me, do not interrupt me, in your childhood, with affection I kept repeating a fairy tale to you, which I have...

Someone Stole My Article: What to Do About Plagiarism

A user of www.Zimbio.com with the initials "Pinoy" has stolen my articles titled " Long Journey for Alcoholic Beverage in Indonesia " without my permission nor mentioning the source of original post (my article). I call this plagiarism or cheating . He/She has completely copying (stole) my article into his/her blog and then submit that article to www.Zimbio.com using his/her blog as the source with user name "Pinoy". Firstly I found my article was published at www.Zimbio.com with the URL: http://www.zimbio.com/member/pinoy/articles/Lz8BZTf7gh9/%20Long+journey+alcoholic+beverage+Indonesia And below is the captured image from Zimbio page, where my article has been stolen by Pinoy. Click the image to enlarge and look at the red arrow or visit its link to dig more. You can see that the source of article was mentioned from "global-ids.blogspot.com" (plagiarist blog). Out of curiosity then I clicked on the link and found my article are also stolen an...