I do not know why current atmosphere spurred my thoughts to ponder a simple question like this: "What is the meaning of independent ?" This question is in the context of a country. It is also possible to reflect the meaning of independence for a country out there, not only for Indonesia. In popular sense, the meaning of independence is being free from colonialism. That sense was popular at the time of World War I and II, but for present century I tend to use a different approach.
So to ponder the question, I take an example of a smallest entity of a state, namely a family. A family (assuming a father as the head of a family) can be said to have been independent if :
- Independence to give love, peace, and harmony equitably to all family members, although each family member may have different desires, for example: different religions, different political views, different personal principles, etc. but still remain in one family bonds that must be cherished.
- Independence to make decisions for his family affairs independently without depending on other parties.
- Independence to manage his own family (especially kids) into a better direction. For this one I often hear a naughty kid who is often troublesome parents, but parents confused how to overcome it.
- Independence to fulfill the basic needs of his family, namely: food, clothing, house, health, education. For this one there is still a lot of young families who are still supported by parents.
- Independence to protect all family members against external threats.